Tuesday, November 1, 2011

It's a start

Today I opened a blogger.com window on my Chrome browser. I looked at the three blogs I regularly follow and saw that I was caught up on two of them and so far behind on the third that it didn't warrant my current attention.

Then I looked at my sad little blog that hasn't been updated since June and that I haven't really written original content for since many months back. I thought of this great conversation I had with my friend Eric back in February or March and the way that I was going to blog about a new revelation I had. Then I got sad and made some tea.
(Pause for tea)

And then I thought about my running habits and the fact that I've worked my way back up to running 3-4 times a week and going to the gym on top of it. (Pats self on back). Sometimes I do make good choices. I actually like exercising, the way I actually like writing or blogging. I like the progress I make and the sense of accomplishment and satisfaction I feel when I'm done. In both cases, though, it's easy slip out of habit, and once you do it can be difficult to slip back in. Slipping in is what happens when you've lost 10 pounds and your high school jeans magically fit again. The opposite of that isn't really a slipping at all. Getting back into the habit of exercise is more like arduously attempting to zip up a pair of shrunken skinny jeans - painful to the point of seeming pointless.

So it is with returning to this blog.

And so today, I took my first step: I opened a "new post" and started writing. And like most writers who don't know what to say or suffer from writer's block, I began writing about the difficulty I have writing. But fear not, I will return with actual substantial content in the future. And with that I will leave you, my imaginary audience. Maybe tomorrow I'll have the courage to continue.

3 comments:

  1. http://www.portalstopeace.com/All%20Quotes%20Categorized/Courage/Courage%20does%20not%20Always%20Roar/Courage%20does%20not%20Always%20Roar.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!!! Idea: What if you posted a link to your blog on facebook whenever you publish a new post? I creepily follow a lot of blogs from that.

    Also I love Adam's link and that he and I comprise your imaginary audience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At first I wasn't going to comment because all I had to say was I'm excited you're writing again, but then I thought about how good even a basic comment can be.

    So...

    It makes me quite happy that you're writing (hopefully regularly) again. To celebrate your return I did a summersault on the way to my bed. Fun fact for the day: when I was 9, it took me 3 weeks to figure out how to do a reverse summersault so I could move up to my next badge in cub scouts.

    Anyway, happy return!

    ReplyDelete