Monday, September 27, 2010

Take a walk with me

Welcome to Kansas City, Kansas, home to many an immigrant, refugee and social service worker. Also, home to taquerias, paleterias, osunas, barbecue restaurants, bars, liquor stores (it's illegal to sell wine/liquor in KS grocery stores) and a Mexican Sun Fresh. The only thing it really lacks is a WalMart and a decent coffee shop. Also, a Target, or any place to purchase shoes. The character makes up for it.
Delicious, or "deliciosa" rather. My sister and I bought bread here . It was wonderful.
The pastries are lovely. I imagine they taste good too. 

No, it is not written in English on the other side.

This is the paleteria (which is an ice cream store, and so much more).
In two weeks I went here 3 times. The tequila nieva is to die for.


Cheapest gas in my neighborhood.

Typical little home, likely inhabited by an immigrant family
(I say this based on the people I saw and food I smelled as I walked by)

I don't know what Zumba is in English, much less in Spanish.


This building (and the one below) are perhaps my favorite in terms of external decor.



The quincinera dresses are the best items in the shop (see photo below).


A block of houses, typical to the area.

St. Peter's steeple. A sign that I am almost home!
(Always welcome, but especially after a long run)
St. Peter's. It's right across the street from my house. I love it.
The bells chime when school starts and when it's time for mass or prayer.
I might attend mass one of these days. It's been a long time.

This building is right across the street. I'm sure it used to be some kind of general store before it was turned
into apartments. Earlier in the year it suffered a fire and was condemned. I was snooping around the other day and
discovered that the deck and upper level are still accessible. Walking through a gutted out fire-damaged building was eery. I have an inclination to sit on the roof someday and drink wine or hot tea with a couple of friends. 

This sign (and the former gas station to the left of it) are just across the street from St. Peter's.
The place seems rather nostalgic and drips of the 1960s. I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment