Friday, October 22, 2010

Inbox of interest

I am continually amused at some of the things that pass through my inbox and cross my computer screen on a daily basis. Maybe it's because I'm new, or perhaps because I don't think scientifically or haven't spent the past 5-20 years of my life immersed in lab tests and results or blood-bourne pathogen training.
Whatever the reason, I do not cease to smirk at the following:

I've read a lot of protocols and reports. Tox (i.e., toxicity) studies exist to gauge toxicity of a substance. In order to do so, study directors must examine the organs of the animals, which consequently requires that the animal die. I'm used to reading about necropsies, and yet I can't really get past the line "At each necropsy, gross observations will be made..." It isn't that the necropsy bothers me, but rather that I find the term "gross observations" so terribly appropriate. Clearly I was not cut out to be a scientist.

The other day I received this in my inbox:

Hello everyone:
The radioactive waste pickup has been pushed back to Wednesday, 13th October. Please transfer all radioactive wastes (lab waste, carcasses and radioassay vials etc) to the waste collection area (Room 222) as soon as possible. If you have any question, please let me know. Thanks
I was sure to have all carcasses out of my office and in Room 222 in time for collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment