Sunday, June 13, 2010

Unexpected Familiarity

Last week I moved to Kansas City. I had intended to purchase and pack up a new (to me) car and come down by myself, but my plans were over ambitious. (Note to self: 10 days is not adequate time to locate, inspect, purchase and update a reliable, low-cost vehicle - especially when working over 40 hours a week). Luckily my parents had friends to visit in the KC area and agreed to hop in their van drive down with me (and the '93 Pontiac Grand Am that I drove when I was in high school).
I felt a bit like I was being dropped off at college for the first time. My dad made sure I was paying attention to the roads on which I was driving as my mom commented on house nice my new neighborhood was. They helped me move in my bins of clothing and boxes of books, remarked at the size of my new room and generally hovered about as parents tend to do in such situations.
Later on, the three of us ventured to Target and as we were driving my mom took note of stores and restaurants we passed. "Oh look there's a Macy's!" "They have a Macaroni Grille, Amanda." I think she was trying to reassure herself as much as me, that the place I had moved to would be just fine. "There's a Walgreens in case you need to get something there; and a Twister's just across the street."
And then it came - "Amanda! There's a HyVee right on the corner!"
"Oh HyVee," I thought "will you never cease to haunt me?"

Two days later I was coming home from church/work (I now work at a church in case you didn't catch that), and decided to try taking the highway. I'm still getting used to navigating Overland Park and have a pretty shoddy sense of direction as it is. I stopped at Verizon where I spent 40 minutes waiting to find out they couldn't move my old phone book to my other cell phone. I then attempted to find a place where I could pick up a few extra ingredients I needed for dinner that night. I missed the turn for Walmart. I pulled into a second strip mall, but the only grocery options were Dollar Tree and Walgreens. It was about 4 pm. My car has no air conditioning. The humidity in KC has been about 80% all week. My inability to pick up a jar of capers, two zuccini, fresh parsely and 10 ounces of mushrooms was beginning to get to me.
I maneuvered in and out of two more strip malls before finding my way back to 135th and Antioch. And there it was like a beacon in the night - HyVee. I pulled off the road and found a spot in the parking lot. I walked into the store and appreciated the familiar layout, the well-labeled aisles and trust-worthy produce. "This," I thought, "is why chain stores succeed."
I located the items I had come for, checked out and proceeded to go "home," surprisingly reassured to have HyVee close by.

No comments:

Post a Comment